Barnett has been a friend to hunters for years, providing high quality, reliable, and easy to use crossbows as well as excellent customer service to back these awesome tools. The Barnett Wildcat C5 Crossbow is a great example of this heritage, designed to be able to be taken out of the box, sighted in, and taken to the forest to hunt. The Barnett Wildcat c5 has all the features that a crossbow needs to be an effective hunting weapon, and Barnett took things a step farther by making easily detachable accessories for on the fly customization.
- Velocity: 320 feet per second
- Draw weight: 150 pounds
- Energy: 97 foot pounds
- Power stroke: 13 inches
- Arrow length: 20 inches
- Dimensions: 35.25 x 26.75 inches (LxW)
- Weight: 8.5 pounds
Vented quad limb compound – A take on the normal quad limb compound design which reduces size and weight, and while it may seem as though this design would reduce the strength of the limbs Barnett has taken steps to make the Wildcat C5 just as resilient as their other crossbows.
Since the Barnett Wildcat c5 was designed to be somewhat modular, it is very simple to put together and should not take longer than 20 minutes with the detailed instruction booklet that is included and as always you can tap Barnett’s customer service for help with any aspect you may not understand.
Barnett Wildcat C5 Features
- GAM composite stock – Another Barnett innovation which reduces the weight of the Wildcat C5 by utilizing GAM a plastic composite that balances strength, weight, and durability
- ADF MIM trigger system – A Barnett proprietary technology that significantly lessens the trigger pull of high tension crossbows and allow for a much lighter and smoother pull than would be possible without it, sort of like power steering for crossbows.
- Veloci-speed synthetic cable system – Synthetic cables designed to simultaneously smooth and quiet the Wildcat C5’s release by cutting drag and utilizing the crossbow’s energy efficiently, this system also benefits the Wildcat’s speed.
- High energy wheels – This component works in tandem with the synthetic cable system to give the Wildcat C5 a very fast and efficient release and allowing a large percentage of the crossbow’s stored energy to be utilized for each shot.
- Crank mount attachment – A set of removable plastic covers that can be used to attach a cranking device (not included in most packages) to aid in cocking the Wildcat C5. This component was made removable to allow the crossbow’s profile to be reduced to allow for more maneuverability in a forest environment.
The Barnett Wildcat C5 is the ideal beginning hunting crossbow, easy to assemble, easy to handle, highly customizable, affordable, and most importantly powerful. Boasting an efficiently utilized 150 pound draw which allows it to produce beefy 320 FPS shots capable of downing any reasonable game you may come across. Another aspect of the Wildcat C5 that makes it great in a hunting scenario is its quietness, the rubber coated stirrup coupled with the cable system and the 4.5-pound trigger pull make this crossbow almost silent while both loading and firing.
“What a great crossbow! I have so much positive things to say about this crossbow but I will try to make this short. I researched a TON before making this purchase and I couldn’t be happier. I live in Illinois so crossbow hunting is illegal unless you are disabled or over 62 years of age so I have NOT used this for hunting. …(read more here: Barnett Wildcat C5 Review)”
“Fast, made in the USA, good quality. I am very happy with my purchase. I would give this 3 stars for the poor scope and the fact that the instructions say to use 20 inch bolts/arrows, but it came with 22 inch bolts/arrows. But, the quality of the bow itself and the fact that it was made here in the USA earns it 4 stars….(read more here: Barnett Wildcat C5 Review)”
Pros & Cons
- Price – The Wildcat C5 is set at a very great price point for hunters of nearly any budget.
- Performance – This crossbow excels in all aspects that make up a great hunting crossbow.
- Ease of use – Designed to be put together quickly and ready to shoot as soon as possible.
- Does not include cocking device – Although it has a built in hand crank attachment the Wildcat unfortunately does not come with a cocking device included in standard packages, and it does in fact need such a device in order to efficiently handle the 150 pound draw weight, however there are many options for these tools on the market and they are relatively inexpensive and can be used with many crossbows.
- Scope is low quality – While this complaint is not universal, a large percentage of the customer reviews tend to point out that the included scope is of much lower quality than is typical of a Barnett product.